Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Why are Christians attacked and Muslims protected?

I never understood this. Christians are constantly under attack in the US, the UK, Canada, and other countries while these same countries focus on protecting Muslims. When I see the damage people do with these belief systems, it boggles my mind. I don't know a single Christian who is violent or trying to harm anyone but I have known of some Muslims who openly attack homosexual individuals and run grooming rings of little children. Why is one religion spared and the other one constantly attacked?

darkfox35,

Christians get attacked because of human beings'  tendencies to abuse their free will for purposes of evil, rather than, use their free will properly to embrace Christian truths, especially, moral truths.  But, these attacks should not come as a surprise to Christians.  We already know this from the time Jesus commissioned the Apostles, and sent them out to evangelize the world.  Jesus said in John 15:17-21

[17] This I command you, to love one another. [18] "If the world hates you, know that it has hated me before it hated you. [19] If you were of the world, the world would love its own; but because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you. [20] Remember the word that I said to you, `A servant is not greater than his master.' If they persecuted me, they will persecute you; if they kept my word, they will keep yours also. [21] But all this they will do to you on my account, because they do not know him who sent me.

But then Jesus gives us the Christian teaching on how to respond to these attacks, which is not to seek vengeance and harm those who attack us.  He says in Matthew 5:43-45

[43] "You have heard that it was said, `You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' [44] But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, [45] so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven; for he makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust.

And Luke 6:27-28

[27] "But I say to you that hear, Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, [28] bless those who curse you, pray for those who abuse you.

But even though Jesus gave us these teachings, some have, throughout history, failed to abide by them and went on sinning by acts of vengeance and harmful retaliations.  In those instances, they no longer represented Christ.  In those instances, they may have professed Christ, but betrayed Him by their deeds.  We will always have a "Judas" among us, subverting, from within the community, the peaceful teachings of Christ.

Having said all that, as a Catholic Christian, I accept the Catholic Church's teaching throughout history that mankind is called to a Universal Call to Holiness, which means that all of humanity, whether they be Christians or not, are called by God to a life of holiness.  Christians grow in holiness when we participate in prayer, the reading of Scripture, the observance of the Commandments, the performance of corporal and spiritual works of mercy, and by partaking of the Sacraments or the "Holy Mysteries" as they are called in Eastern Christianity.

Non-Christians can grow in holiness if they align their free will and conscience to the precepts of the Natural Moral Law, which God implanted into every human being, which is also the same as the Commandments, the same basic law of morality which says to "do good and avoid evil", and also "love God and love your neighbor".  St. Paul, in Romans 2:14-15, explains it like this:

[14] When Gentiles who have not the law do by nature what the law requires, they are a law to themselves, even though they do not have the law. [15] They show that what the law requires is written on their hearts, while their conscience also bears witness and their conflicting thoughts accuse or perhaps excuse them

Which brings me to the reference to Muslims which you brought up.  In light of the Catholic understanding that all mankind is called to holiness, this call also pertains to Muslims.  Muslims in their communities, like all other religions, must live out their lives in accordance with God's basic moral laws, which were planted into their hearts, and be open at all times to God's will and revelation.  I believe that all mankind, including Muslims, are to be shown and taught, lovingly, the teachings of Jesus Christ, but if they are unwilling to embrace Jesus, then God will judge them in accordance with the light which they've been given, the light of the natural moral law implanted in their hearts.

And many Muslims live out their lives peacefully, with prayer, fasting, and almsgiving, despite some in their communities who choose to do evil.  Muslims have to constantly guard their community members from radicalization, which in some countries, they've done a much better job than others.  Ultimately, as Muslims and Christians dialogue with each other as "brother and sisters in humanity", officially at the top and also locally, these issues of attacks and violence should lessen over time, although, as I said earlier, they are inevitable and prophesied by Christ.

And as far as governmental/legal protection, both Christians, Muslims, and everyone else, need to be guaranteed by all governments protection from any and all violence.  A civilized society can only exist if all their members are protected from violent harm and unjust discrimination.

I will end with the teachings of the Catholic Catechism in regards to our relations with the Muslims:

841 The Church's relationship with the Muslims. "The plan of salvation also includes those who acknowledge the Creator, in the first place amongst whom are the Muslims; these profess to hold the faith of Abraham, and together with us they adore the one, merciful God, mankind's judge on the last day."

Thanks,

Z

It is not only Christians but other community too where community often in majority face abusive attack and other ones protected but when you see most of attacks that particular community people are involved in name of God but no religion ask their follower to attack innocent people.